THE IMPORTANCE OF KEYWORDS IN SEO CAMPAIGN.
You will get more traffic from search engines if you use the right keywords. Rank faster when you optimize keywords for your blog.
The first thing to do when you want to optimize your blog for SEO is the right use of Keywords. Here is a beginner’s guide for how to understand keywords and their relevance in SEO campaigns.
We will be starting with the basics and if you have been blogging for some time you will realize more often than not that only about 5% of your posts will receive about 95% of your traffic. That means that only a few of your posts will be receiving most of your traffic coming from search engines. You may have wondered why these posts are receiving most of the traffic. It means you may have done something right about these few posts.
The reason for this is that unknown to you, some of your articles are ranked on first page for keywords with high volume of searches from users all over the world or in particular regions. What you need to find out is what is ranking your posts. It is an algorithm used by search engines which search for particular signals with which the posts are ranked.
Speaking of ranking of your content, what does it really mean? This means ranking your site for a particular keyword. I will explain as we move on.
Visit SEMRUSH website (My SECRET WEAPON)and enter you blog url to see what keyword your blog articles/posts are ranking for. See an example with a popular blog.
Even though at first you may not understand the image above, do not let this bother you. A closer look will help you.
Three columns I want you to observe:
- Keyword: This column shows the keyword driving traffic to a particular URL of the blog (it is also called target keyword).
- Pos: This column shows the keyword position in Google search result. Your aim should be to rank on the Google’s first page for your target keyword.
- Volume: This column is also important as it tells you the number of persons searching for a particular keyword per month. When you use google’s search engine to find a solution, many people are also looking for a similar solution, however they might be using a different keyword than yours. Google records the number of searches and allows you to see the number of keyword search per month for each keyword. This will help you know what keyword will get more search results than others. In the example above, you will observe two similar keywords having different monthly search volume
- Free professional email address has 110 searches each month
- Free professional email has 70 searches each month.
Later I will talk about how to target keywords, but right now focus on grasping the most important aspect of SEO. You also need to understand the following:
- Short tail Keywords: These contain one to three words e.g keyword density, keyword research tool.
- Long tail keywords: These are more specific keywords containing at least 3 words e.g How to make money blogging, the importance of long tail keywords.
Any word or search term is considered a keyword if it has a good amount of monthly search volume.
Long tail keywords are the most profitable as they drive more target traffic and increases your chances of ranking on first page. Both keywords are important. If you have missed anything, try reading the concept of keywords in SEO.
Writing long and quality post will help you drive traffic, but it is not all that is required to get traffic to your blog. It is still possible for you not to get enough traffic or no traffic at all.
From SEO’s standpoint, what is the importance of keywords?
When a web page or blog post is SEO optimized, we are given an option to list out our target keywords. This is known as Meta keywords. This was useful until 2016 when it was abandoned by search engines. Now they automatically rank pages by auto-detecting keywords.
When selecting keywords, Google no longer consider meta keywords because many article writers and bloggers add plenty of keywords in their blog articles.
For instance, one may choose the following meta keywords for this article: “adwords keyword tool, seo keyword tool, adwords keyword planner” etc.
Put yourself in the shoes of internet users and ask this questions, would anyone search for these keywords, because if they are not relevant to this post, people will visit this page and leave immediately. This will adversely affect my average time on site and my bounce rate.
How to begin keyword research
Keyword research involves locating the right keyword for your niche. It is an important step you need to take to grow your blog in a short time. There are many ways to find keywords, here are a few of them:
SEMRUSH(MY SECRET WEAPON):
This online tool will help you find high traffic keywords. You can also enter the URL of any website and it will reveal all the keywords a site is ranking for.
A good start is to choose the top blogs in your niche and see with this tool what keywords they are ranking for. Use these same keywords to build articles for your site. It is a paid tool but you will get free trial for 15 days worth $150 with this link.
Here are other keyword tools:
- LongTailPro: A tool you can download to your desktop.
- Keyword Planner: This is a free tool which is not as simple to use as SEMRUSH.
- Ahrefs: This tool is an alternative to SEMRUSH.
How to use Google search to get keyword ideas:
You can also find your target keyword using Google search. Google provides suggested keywords as you type into the search field of google. With this technique you can form a list of keywords and check their search volumes using SEMRUSH or Keyword planner.
.After you find the right keywords you have to start writing articles around these keywords.
You need to maintain a descent amount of keyword density on your post. Search engine bots will use your keyword density to determine what keyword your page should rank for. Your main keyword should not exceed 2% of the length of post. Targeting keywords is pertinent, however avoid over use of keywords (keyword stuffing) as you will be penalized for this.
Meta kewords, meta title and description:
Also endeavour to use your target keyword on the title of your post. Add a relevant meta description to give search engines more insight about your post. I would recommend using keywords in your meta keywords, meta title and meta description fields. Also try writing SEO articles with h1, h2, and h3 tags. Stay away from overusing these tags to avoid negative ranking.
Now you know how important keywords are, look for at most 5 profitable keywords to add to your next post. You can use the keyword planner tools, SEMRUSH or any online tool of your choice. Write an article for your target keywords and use any rank tracker sites to monitor your keyword positions.
Kindly share this post with your followers and friends on Twitter and Facebook if you find it useful.
This semrush of a thing I have heard of it but don’t know how to use it.